So where are we going to build from here? A decade ago, the Center For Regional Studies at UNR had a graphic showing 65,000+ lots at least the Tentative Map stage. Many of these have lost their entitlements due to noncompliance with their time triggers, but I have never ever seen a single project denied reinstatement.
HERE is a graphic I put together of the major projects I know of lurking out there. I’m sort of winging it from memory in some cases and I’m sure I’m missing other major projects in the pipeline. Some comments:
- North Valleys is going to be a shit show. 15,000 units with 395 as the only way in or out. Can you imagine the Spaghetti Bowl in 10 years?
- Copper Canyon failed once, but may now be in the primo location of all.
- Balardini Ranch was controversial and cost the County a $13M settlement. Hate me if you want, but given its location on McCarran and in-place infrastructure, it should be massively up-zoned.
- Everything happening to the West around Verdi will still not support new retail out there in the former sticks. Watch for the TCA project to resurface.
- A second loop road is need on the north side. Just connecting Pyramid to 395 won’t cut it.
The sewer connection fee for a SFR at Bordertown is the same as in Midtown. So is the Transportation Impact Fee. How can that be right? Reno/Sparks/Washoe, time to get your acts together and work regionally to funnel growth where it is reasonable and where it can be serviced.