11 state. 13 days, 4500 miles. Dyson and I are just back from a tour of fly-over country. Drake stayed here with a dogsitter and ate my house, but that’s a post for later, after the insurance claims. Here are some random thoughts:
– Remember all the Wide Load pilot trucks followed by one half or another of a double wide? I saw exactly zero this trip.
– There were a lot of pilot trucks with Wide Loads following. They were all parts of windmills – blades, bases and rotor mechanisms. Hundreds of them. There are windmills everywhere in the west / midwest. Every town has one or more, and there are wind farms on all the ridges. Nevada is energy retarded as far as I can tell.
– Wyoming – Can’t we just sell it to Canada and call it a day? OOPs, except it is booming with natural gas exploration right now.
– Motels – Try getting a room in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska. They have all gone to weekly top support all the transients building the pipelines and doing the exploration. A tree trimming crew from Washington almost squeezed me out 0f a Motel 6 in Billings MT.
– Iowa – States without a deficit are really annoying me right now. Michelle Bachman ads are already running.
– Chicago – At least 3 new residential highrises under construction now. The boom times hit every little enclave in the city, and it makes for some edgy neighbors. If I weren’t from there, I’d move back there in a second.
– Bozeman MT – WOW. If you are looking for a Reno exist strategy, check out Bozeman. The downtown renovations are spectacular, the infill development is generally well thought out.
– Sun Valley – Idaho, not North Reno. Billion dollar homes with no real views with freeway noise and private 727’s out of Hailey.